Monday, September 26, 2011

most embarrassing moment of my life

do you guys read busy bee lauren? i'm sure you do. isn't she so freaking hilarious? she really has the best stories. anyway, i just read this post on her blog, and i have to say....i feel for lauren.  because her story reminded me of a similar experience i had. and mine for sure isn't as bad....but it was humiliating. 

so i got hooked up with this really sweet job at steiners....it's a rec center in salt lake. i knew someone who worked there and was able to get me a job working at the front desk. this is awesome for three reasons. 1) i have a bunch friends who go to steiners, so i could see them all the time. 2) there wasn't a whole lot of work involved, i just sat around answering phones and swiping cards and talking to friends. 3) i got a free gym pass. great, right? well, i went in to training once and then a few days later, came in for my first shift. my boss wasn't there, and i remember trying to find him so that i could talk to him about spring break in a month. my family was going to europe and was there any way i could find people to cover my shifts then? well, he wasn't there, so i left him a note and put it in his box. a couple days later, i walked in and there were already three people at the front desk, which is weird, because only three work at a time. so i had someone look up the schedule online and i was not scheduled for that day. or for the rest of the month. boss wasn't there again, so i called him to ask him what the deal was.

me: "hi, (insert name here). how are you? i have a question about the schedule. it shows that i'm not on today or for the rest of the month, but i remember we talked about me working--"
boss: "yeah. i left you a message on your home phone. i said to not come back ever again because you high school kids are so hard to schedule around. you think that everyone will just work around you and your vacation. that's why i don't like hiring high school kids."
me:....................................

and then i'm pretty sure i mumbled an apology and a THANK YOU and hung up. and then the three other college employees asked me what he said (and remember that this is my second shift).

"oh, um.....he fired me, but it's really no big deal. it's just a conflict with scheduling. it's fine. thanks for looking up the schedule for me."

and then one of the random employees asked me for a ride home. embarrassing? yes. i waited till i got home to cry. because it most definitely was NOT fine. and i was humiliated. i was too mortified to work out at steiners for a few months, but i slowly made my way back.  luckily, i don't think any of those employees work there anymore. boss doesn't have a clue who i am, but when i'm running on the treadmill and he walks past, i glare daggers into the back of his head, and it makes me feel a little better.

(and i won't say i gave back my employee gym pass right away, either. just sayin'.)

1 comment:

  1. do i read busy bee lauren? is the sky blue? do we live on planet earth? does your ex boss from steiner's suck? do i miss you like crazy? DUH!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete