Saturday, September 3, 2011

happy birthday, indeed

as of thursday night at 8:23 (eight minutes after my brother, ben), i am 21! ben's been on a mission for almost two years now, so we couldn't celebrate it together, but we've had a crazy two decades together and many more crazy ones to come. so here's to you, ben! happy birthday!


anyway, do you wanna hear the most magical 21st birthday story ever? yesterday i woke up, got ready, and walked out the door to go to lunch with my mom and cousins. there was a little envelope in the mailbox (weird. the mail doesn't come that early.) i picked it up and it was addressed to

Miss R. Ely
The Bedroom off the Kitchen 

and then my address. i turned it around and there was a wax stamp with a hogwarts seal on it.  my mom asked what it was while we got in the car......i knew what it was. i have been waiting for this for ten years. i opened it and right there in my lap sat the most magical piece of mail i have ever received..... 

my hogwarts acceptance letter!!!!! along with a list of books and equipment for first year students and a train ticket from london to hogwarts departing from platform 9 3/4. 

i did the only logical thing and burst out in tears. don't laugh and tell me you wouldn't cry if you found out you were a witch. i've always known this about myself. 

please notice that i have been crying


so that basically made for the best birthday ever. but it gets better. after the usual good birthday stuff (lunch, pedicures, dinner, cake and ice cream), my mom announced that there was a package for me outside. i went out and saw that there was a cheap flimsy trunk with a bow wrapped around it sitting on my porch. i brought it inside, opened it up and saw what i was suspecting (only because i told my mom i wanted this a few months ago)...my own set of brand spanking new harry potter books. now i don't have to share with those stinky brothers. i'm not even going to read them right now. it just makes me happy to know that i have my own set.


jacob's mad, who can blame him?


it was a magical birthday. and it will be a good year. because who can't have a good 21st year knowing they're a witch? 

2 comments:

  1. This is definitely the best birthday story I have EVER heard! Happy birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. HAHAHAHA. This is making me think I really need to jump on that Harry Potter bandwagon. And also...you were born 8 minutes AND 8 seconds after Ben. Don't you forget those 8 seconds.

    ReplyDelete