Thursday, September 8, 2011

away with the summer days

i would like to submit that summer nights make me happier than anything in the world. (ok. i take that back. even summer nights can't make me as happy as christmas.) and i'm not a huge fan of summer. the heat irritates me and i get bored without school fast.

but summer nights. 

they are a thing of legend in my mind. 

the heat makes me want to stay inside all day, but once the sun goes down, i run outside to do the nighttime dance with the moon. (sometimes we krump when we're feeling extra crazy.) 

i love the temperature. it feels perfect in shorts and a t-shirt. i love the stars. i love the overbearing noise of the crickets in august. i love the feel of concrete and grass under my bare feet. shoes are not allowed when doing the nighttime dance. (p.s. when i wrote that, i thought of the fat-lipped redhead lady on the delta airline video that says "smoking is NOT allowed." does anyone know who i'm talking about?) anyway, i really love when the sprinklers come on at night. i love running around the golf course. i love swinging at the park at night. i love it all. i love just taking walks. 

when i was in rexburg this summer, i would go on a bike ride almost every night and it was almost always the best part of my day! now that i am home, i haven't forgotten the dance. running, laying on my back and looking at the stars, playing my ukulele, watching the sun set at the park. 

but now it's september and it's kind of chilly tonight which reminds me i don't have many more summer nights! but then i remember how fall is my favorite season and how excited i am for that. crisp temperature, bright leaves, halloween, cute clothes, and school starting again! and then i'll probably be sad when the leaves fall off the trees, but then i'll remember how much i love thanksgiving and christmas and skiing and fires in the fireplace and snuggling and hot chocolate. and then winter will give way to cheerful spring and once may turns to june, the shoes go off and the nighttime dance starts all over again. 

1 comment:

  1. ah agreed! this makes me miss our summer nights! rooftop, stars, ukulele. and it makes me sad that the next time i see you we can't do that. but it will come soon enough! and also...i know what delta lady you are talking about. best airline rule movie ever!

    ReplyDelete