Friday, January 1, 2010

the world is my oyster

i had an epiphany last week, as i was reflecting on my first semester of college, and that is this: i hold the world in my palm. the world is my oyster. i can do anything. i'm not exactly sure what brought on this bout of- pardon my french- piss and vineger, but it hit me. i am unstoppable. and i'll tell you why.

i have been blessed with a very, very privileged life. i have a loving family who supports everything i do and all my ambitions. if it is important to me, it's just as important to my parents. i have a dad who takes care of us financially. i can afford to go to college and get an education. i have resources! i live in a good neighborhood and have been brought up around great people. i am extremely aware of my blessings. and i've developed the idea that those who are given much are expected to use their advantage to help the less fortunate.

besides my countless blessings, i have youth. i have my whole life ahead of me! my life is a fresh canvas and i can paint whatever i want on it. along with being youthful, i also have good health. i have enthusiasm and energy. i'm not tied down with a family to take care of or a full time job.

and most important of all, i have passion. one of my good friends challenged me a year ago to do everything in life with passion. i really don't like when people are lukewarm about important things. it's hard, but i try to be heartfelt in all aspects. which, of course, ends up making life a lot more meaningful.

considering all things listed above, i think i have a lot going for me! which brings me back to my original point, which is that i can do anything i want to if i set my mind to it. there's so much i want to do! i want to travel! see the pyramids in africa! climb machu pichu! go zip lining in costa rica! new zealand! israel! the mediterranean! i want to be a philanthropist! do humanitarian work! create a life for underprivileged children! i want to go on a mission! i want to major in medicine! minor in psychology! but i'm also interested in sociology! cultures! what about anthropology?! so much to do! so little time!

my mom thinks i'm insatiable. i call it ambitious. so what am i going to do about it? i'm going to DO. make things happen for myself. i am only young once and i want to look back and not have any regrets. i want to be a go-getter, one who doesn't have a limit on her ability to make things happen. one who doesn't get set back by failures. one who measures up to her full potential.

the world is my oyster.

2 comments:

  1. whatever honey, your mom thinks you're inCREDIBLE (not insatiable)! and i wish i had been the friend that said live life with passion - dang they had some good ideas. go rachael go!! see rachael run! :) you can do anything! and i know you WILL! (YESSS!!!)

    p.s. i love you! bunches!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Abby, you can do anything and you will!! You are amazing! You truly make this world a better place!

    ReplyDelete