Wednesday, January 27, 2010

i'd rather be in scranton


it started out with resentment. i hated it. i thought it was so stupid. i felt like my IQ was being dropped just by being exposed to it. i'm talking about "the office", of course. i had some friends that were obsessed with that show a while back, but i never got into it. actually, i had never seen an episode of it, to be honest, until a few days ago when i picked up my brother's copy of the first season and started watching. the documentary feel of it was a little weird, but it seemed fine enough.

enter michael scott. the biggest idiot i've ever had the displeasure of setting eyes upon. i couldn't stand him. he made me physically uncomfortable and i still can't fathom the lack of decency he possesses. and i love steve carrell. love him. but the fact that he can even portray someone so tactless and stupid dumbfounded me. i was so unhinged that i had to watch another episode. it's like a scary movie where you want to look away, but you can't. michael scott is the scary movie here. well, then i had to watch the next episode......just to keep the flow of things, of course. and the next and the next. and then, what do you know? time for the next season, which my brother had. so i started watching it (convincing myself it was just because i was bored.)

well, then it started to make me laugh. you know, this michael scott guy is funny. and dwight schrute? come on. what a weirdo. you have to love it. i suddenly have the urge to find the dwight schrute of salt lake and send him faxes from himself from the future or put a bloody hand in his desk and convince him he's committed murder. and then there's phyllis. poor, sweet phyllis, i just want to give her a hug every time i see her dejected face. and angela. you know the tighly-wound prude with a stick up her butt all the time? these people make me laugh. really laugh. so immediately when the second season ended, the encounter with my mom followed.

me: "i'm going to blockbuster to get the third season."
mom: "i thought you didn't like that show!"
me: "i don't, mom! but it'll drive me crazy if i don't know what happens with jim and pam! geez."

bottom line.....i am obsessed with "the office." it seriously is hilarious. i had to refrain from using one of dwight's sensei moves on the blockbuster employee who told me they didn't have the full third season. it was a slow process (i'm talking about all of 12 hours), but i can't get enough of it!

oh, and i still think michael scott's an idiot.

No comments:

Post a Comment