Saturday, July 31, 2010

a post about Harry Potter

if there is anything i love in this world more than eating costco samples for lunch (which i love a lot) it's Harry Potter. as a preface to this post, i would like to point out that i never-EVER- use caps while blogging ("don't be lazy!" says my dad) except for Things Associated With Harry Potter. because Things Associated With Harry Potter are to be treated with the utmost respect and deserve to be given a little more attention than topics in small caps. i am one of the faithful followers from the beginning. i comforted Harry when his loyal Nimbus Two Thousands was smashed to smithereens. i was under his Invisibility Cloak during all those late nights wandering around the castle, holding my breath in hopes that we weren't caught by Snape or Mrs. Norris. i cried with Harry during the wee hours of the morning over the loss of our friends. we grew up together! me and Harry, Harry and me! there's so much attachment to Harry Potter in me that my mind gets all tangled up when i try to explain it. i'm sure i could talk about Harry Potter for hours and hours and hours, but i'll stick to a few thoughts.

-every time a new book came out, there was dispute about who got to read it first amongst the kids and every time, i won. i suspect if any of us kids have a falling out with each other, it'll be over who loves Harry Potter more. ("well, can you tell me what Uncle Vernon chortles on page 11 of Sorcerer's Stone when Dudley throws his cereal against the wall? didn't think so.")

-i truly, honestly didn't know what to do with myself for a few days after i finished the seventh book. i walked around with an empty, hollow pit in my stomach and heart. "you can read them again!" someone dumbly pointed out to me. "it's not the same!" i wailed. i felt so alone. i thought i must have had the dementor's kiss. what was there to live for? (now i realize that lots of people probably felt the same way, but i still felt alone.) it was just a sad week. i still get a lump in my throat just thinking that it's over.

-my mom sometimes tells us that we need to widen our variety of books. "read something else for a change!" she can't comprehend that we've read each book multiple times. i can't comprehend that she hasn't.

-Albus Dumbledore is a greater person than you or i could ever hope to be. i have never felt prouder of somebody than our twinkly-eyed, crooked nose, all-knowing Dumbledore.

-my friend and i have spent countless hours in the library (with our anatomy homework pushed aside) having deep and philosophical discussions about Harry Potter instead. we've truly come up with a belief that there is a wizarding world. J.K. Rowling is a witch who decided to write a book (a biography, really) about Harry Potter and their world. of course it's too fantastic to beleive so no muggle would ever actually take it seriously. (however, i imagine this was a serious controversy within the Ministry of Magic.) but we know the truth. we get it. for christmas, my friend gave me a "Dumbledore's Army" shirt and one of our own set of two way mirrors, like Harry and Sirius's.

-i would never have any reason to complain if i were a Weasley. who does not want to be a part of the Weasley family? funny and loud and endearingly brave. no, scratch that. if i were a Weasley, then i couldn't marry a Weasley. correction: i would never have any reason to complain if i married into the Weasley family.

so if one day, i just up and disappear, don't be surprised to see me waving happily in the Daily Prophet as Mrs. George Weasley, mother of five beautiful red-headed wizards, best friend of Harry Potter, and Hogwart's new professor of Muggle Studies. i belong there, dang it.

P.S. happy birthday harry :)

3 comments:

  1. Rachael, First... You are the cutest Harry Potter nerd around! Second... I would be worried about your not wanting to branch out, but you read more than anyone I know (when your not watching Lost with your brothers) Third..... I've always thought our family was quite a lot like the Weasleys!! ( What other mom would just happen to have a cape, Harry Potter glasses and a wand in the car while camping at Colter Bay when we spontaneously decided to go to the book 7 party in Jackson Hole? )

    ReplyDelete
  2. This post made my day! I love Harry Potter!!! You watch Lost? I love that show!! My sister got me addicted to the series.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You didn't capitalize Dementor's Kiss

    ReplyDelete