Monday, March 15, 2010

a few things on my mind...

1) i've done some stupid things in my life. the half-brained-teenage syndrome was not lost on me. when i was fourteen, my friends and i suffered from a bout of dim wit and thought it would be funny to “have feminine problems, so could i sit out please?” and draw PERMANENT MARKER∗ on the giant $250 crab soccer ball in gym class. our tracks weren’t well covered. when i was eighteen, i took a long flight from korea to america and after the doctor said to take half an ambien, i decided (being the smart high school student i was) that if i took a WHOLE AMBIEN, i'd sleep twice as long. well….that was the worst episode of transpacific hallucinatory, drugged-up hell I think anyone has ever experienced. When I was nineteen and living in china, I decided on a whim to lose my hair virginity (aka color my hair for the first time) with a streak of RED in my bangs in a FOREIGN COUNTRY with a language I don’t understand in not a credible salon, but a STINKY HOLE IN THE WALL. an hour later, i walked out with bright orange bangs and to endless laughs from the locals. well, ok. we went to a more legitimate salon to get it fixed and my bangs turned from bright orange to bright orange and dark blue spotted. back to work. i came home the way i left only a few bucks poorer, but let this be a lesson to all those who are contemplating getting their hair done in a foreign country where you can’t understand the language: just don’t do it. my roommate decided to get bangs and came home looking like lady gaga. out with the walmart scissors.

∗caps inserted to emphasize stupidity.


2) i just finished reading “life of pi” and absolutely loved it. i can’t believe i hadn’t read it till now. it’s incredibly captivating. i even read it on the bus the other day and missed my stop. it is fantastic. read it, if you haven’t already. it’s not just a regular novel; it had different dimensions to it and the way it’s written is so interesting. yann martel is freaking awesome. he writes the most amazing tale that makes you laugh, cry, ponder, underline, and overall, it makes you sad when it’s over…and then- and i love books like this- he challenges the reader at the end and lets you use your imagination. it wasn’t one of those books that i read and say “well, that was good.” i spent a good two hours after i finished researching, reading interviews with martel, and finding out more about this book. and then i stayed awake for hours after i turned the lights out just thinking about it. definitely a must read. and now i’m dying to go to the zoo.


3) lastly and of the utmost importance, my shower has been broken for two days.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Rachel...it's Tiffany King. Oh, I LOVE your updates and so very proud of you! What an incredible experience. Do take time to write it in your blog or journal. I love you! Keeping you in my prayers for a softer bed and American Orange Chicken. Those kids are lucky to have you for the next few months.

    ReplyDelete
  2. rachael!!!! I AM SOO OBSESSED WITH YOU!!!!!! why are the greatest person in this whole world..?!!! i don't know. but im so lucky you are my elymon homie for life.

    ReplyDelete